I was baking several batches of mixed fruit tarts. The custard fillings prepared for the batches vary in terms of amount of milk/water used, flavoured with vanilla paste with vanilla bean specks vs. the real good stuff - vanilla bean, and with or without dairy whipped cream.
For the pastry crust, I used the same rubbing-in method for all the batches. But I'm not sure what I did or failed to do, such that my pastry crust is not as crispy and crumbly as what I achieved in my apple tart. I have always used this recipe for my sweet pastry crust and it works.
|This tart is to thank someone who is patient, kind and caring|
Recipe for tart pastry base - as per apple tart, except to increase second baking time to about 10 minutes or till light golden brown, after applying egg whites. But try not to over-baked, or you will end up with a very hard crust.
After trying a few combination of custard fillings, I find the following recipe yields the best results.
For the custard fillings:
(enough for one 8" or 9" tart with some leftover)
(A) 300ml milk + 1 vanilla bean pod (split open, scrape the black specks)
(B) 200ml milk + 3 tbsp custard powder + 2 egg yolks + 4 tbsp sugar
(C) Lemon zest + juice from half lemon
(D) 1 tbsp orange liquor
(E) 30g butter
(F) 1 part dairy whipped cream to 4 parts of custard cream
1) Combine (A): milk, vanilla specks/pod in a pot and bring to boil. Once mixture starts to boil, remove from heat and let the vanilla bean and specks sit in the warm milk for about 15 to 20 minutes. Discard the pod.
2) Combine (B) together and pour into (1) through a sieve. Add in (C). Cook the custard mixture over low heat till thickens. Keep stirring to prevent burning.
3) Remove from heat and pour the custard into a deep bowl. Sit the bowl in a basin filled with tap water. Stir the butter and orange liquor into the custard. Stir the custard frequently over the next 10 minutes to prevent a thin film from forming on top.
5) Cover the custard with plastic wrap (press the plastic wrap gently to touch the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming on top) and keep chill in fridge till ready to use.
6) Fold the whipped cream into the custard cream.
Fill the tart shell with custard filling and decorate with fruits as desired.
|Strawberry and Mango Tart|
Schools are having their Teachers' Day Celebration today. We bought stationery for little girl's teachers, something practical and useful. We also handmade several thank you cards for her teachers over the weekend.
Happy Teachers' Day to all the wonderful teachers who have motivated, encouraged and challenged us to achieve our goals. Thank you to little girl's preschool teachers who have inspired and instilled in her a love for learning. Thank you Teacher Siti, you are still my girl's favorite teacher.