Monday, April 23, 2012

Pandan Kaya Cake (班兰蛋糕)







I have not done much creaming and piping since my cake decoration class ended in February.  Usually, I will just decorate a cake with fresh fruits.  Simple, nice and healthy.

For this pandan kaya cake (or pandan layer cake), I thought I should just practise my piping again before my skills turn rusty.  So, using my favorite piping tips, the star nozzle #21, rose tip #103, leaf tip #67, round tip #2, some on-the-spot practises and an hour later, I have my first pandan kaya cake.  Yeah!


Pink roses and shell border to decorate my cake

To make the kaya filling, I extracted the juice from a big bunch of pandan leaves.  So, you can imagine the pandan fragrance when I served the cake!  


I used a whole bunch of pandan leaves to extract the juice for this cake

Recipe:

Sponge:
(A) 4 eggs + 80g fine sugar + pinch of salt
(B) 100g plain flour, sifted
(C) 30g melted butter + 50g corn oil + 20g pandan juice* + 1/2 tsp pandan paste (mix together).

Method:
Whisk (A) at high speed till stiff (the eggs would be tripled in volume).  Fold in plain flour in batches and follow with the melted butter mixture.  Fold the batter well and pour into a greased and lined 8" round pan.  Bake in preheated oven of 160C for about 45 minutes.  Cool the cake and slice into 3 layers.






Kaya filling
400ml pandan juice* + 50g butter + 120g fine sugar
250g packet fresh coconut milk + 150g water, mix together
70g hoen kwe flour
2 tsp instant jelly powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pandan paste (optional)
2 to 3 drops of yellow food colouring (optional)

* After washing the pandan leaves (about 7 to 8 leaves), warm them briefly in a microwave oven and cut into small pieces.  Blend the leaves with about 500ml water.  Sieve the pandan juice and discard the leaves.  Use about 20ml for making the sponge and the remaining for making the filling.

Method:
1) Combine pandan juice, butter and sugar in a pot and bring to boil.
2) Mix coconut milk, water, hoen kwe flour, instant jelly powder, salt, pandan paste and yellow colouring together.  Pour this mixture to (1), stir and cook till mixture thickens.
3) Remove from heat and let the mixture cool slightly before pouring onto sponge.

[Source: Mainly adapted from Richard Goh's baking class]


These are for my neighbour... quickly snap a picture before bringing over to them

To assemble:
1) Place a slice of cake into a cake ring and pour 1/3 of the kaya filling onto the cake.  Repeat layering of cake and kaya filling (2x).  
2) Cool the cake first before placing in the fridge to set.
3) Remove cake from cake ring and coat the sides with dessicated coconut (I used freshly grated coconut, add 1/4 tsp salt and toast in an ungreased pan till dried).


I will be submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #18: Layers of Love (April 2012), hosted by Sam of Sweet Samsations. 




34 comments:

  1. looks so neat and yummy!! All natural too (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was planning to make this pandan layer cake for Mother's day..I am poor in pipping, hopefully i can come out with a simple pipping.Your cake look so beautiful and all layers are even..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so inspired to bake again. Im starting this season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the compliments! Credits goes to Mr Goh, who really taught his class well. He makes baking much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Business jelly powder the same as agar agar powder??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, are you selling this cake if I would like to made an order? Please email me raaachel@hotmail.sg if you do! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachel, thanks for your interest in my bakes. Currently, I'm only bake as a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. where do u get hoen kwe flour?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can get hoen kwe flour at supermarket or baking supplies store. Hoen Kwe flour helps to thicken the filling. You can use corn flour or custard powder too, but the texture will be different, and the amount to use may vary too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, i am an ardent fan of your blog-i finally had the courage to bake my own pandan layer cake with your recipe for my birthday and it was the prettiest cake i have successfully baked!the pandan sponge was nice and soft. but unfortunately i had not enough of the kaya filling because i used a slightly bigger mould so it looked like the leaning tower of Pisa! Still, it was very good. thank you!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Lara. You just make my day! It's always a joy to know that your recipe is tested and WORKS! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I thought of making a small cake for my hubby's bday. Presently, I bought a mini cake pan (11cm) for baking and wondered how much ingredients should I need to bake such a small cake? Pls advise? Thank u so much...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I thought of making a small cake for my hubby's bday. Presently, I bought a mini cake pan (11cm) for baking and wondered how much ingredients should I need to bake such a small cake? Pls advise? Thank u so much...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vanessa, the above recipe is for one 8" cake pan or two 6" cake pans. 11cm is about 4". I have not tried with 4" cake pan before, my guess is the above recipe will make three to four 4" cakes. But making such a small portion may be difficult to handle. If you have a flat rectangular cake pan (those for making Swiss roll), you may want to use my swiss roll recipe to bake a Swiss roll sponge. Then, use a bowl or round cutter to cut out small round sponge instead. For the remaining sponge, you can make small cakes in tea cup, such as Tiramisu. For above pandan layer cake, you need a cake ring or cake pan with a loose bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vanessa: Alternatively, you may want to bake half the above sponge recipe. Remaining cake batter pour into muffin cups and bake as mini sponge cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, can i use agar agar powder instead of the instant jelly powder? thks alot for your help.
    Belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can. Alternatively, just omit the instant jelly powder and add another 5g to 10g of hoen kwe flour

      Delete
  17. how does the dessicated coconut stick to the sides of the cake? What do i have to coat on the sides of cake first? thks
    Belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belle, it is not necessary to coat the sides of the cake, as the dessicated coconut will stick onto the hoen kwe sides once you removed the cake from the mould.

      Delete
  18. Hi hi thanks so much for sharing the recipe.... The steps were easy enough for a novice like me to follow through... I had the same problem as one of the fellow bakers... Not enough kaya filling. Nx time i will try one half of the kaya filling. For the cake, i steamed for 45min coz last min discoveredmy oven is down... Still taste great��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that the recipe works out well for you too. The filling is sufficient for 8" to 9" cake. If you make a bigger cake, you will have to increase the filling accordingly. For leftover filling, you can also eat it as a pudding, though I find eating the pudding alone without the sponge is a little sweet

      Delete
  19. Will adding the pandan juice to the cake batter make the sponge cake less 'spongey'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sponge cake needs a certain ratio of liquid to be added to the batter to give the right texture. For chocolate sponge, I will use all melted butter for the liquid part. However, if I wanted to bake a lighter sponge (say, for Japanese strawberry cake), I will use a combination of melted butter, corn oil and milk to form the liquid portion.

      Delete
  20. what did you use to decorate the cake with? as in the frosting? do you have the recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare, I used non dairy whipping cream to decorate the cake. Just pour and whip till peak

      Delete
  21. Hi the cake ring also 8"? Tks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a flexi-sized cake ring. If you are using a fixed sized cake ring, both cake pan (for baking) and cake ring should be the same size. The sponge cake will shrink a little after baking, so there will be enough space in the 8" cake ring for the sponge plus the pandan kaya coating. If you used a bigger cake ring, the surrounding pandan kaya layer will be very thick and does not look so nice

      Delete
  22. Hi babe I tried your recipe and it tasted awesome. Everyone loved it. The turnout was very good. Thank you for sharing such a tasty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! Mr Richard Goh's recipe is very good, tried and tested for many years by his students :). I merely adapted from his recipe.

      Delete
  23. hello,

    I am a singaporean living in Europe and i am unable to find the mung bean powder ( hoen kwe ) is it possible to totally omit this item totally? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without the Hoen Kwe powder, the filling will be watery and cannot set properly. Alternatively, you may want to substitute with custard powder/corn flour and adjust the amount of jelly powder. But the texture of the filling will be different, and the amount of custard powder/corn flour may also vary.

      Delete
  24. Hi Fong,

    Sincere thanks for this recipe! I just gave it a try yesterday and it turned out to be an amazing cake to have for dessert :) I thought it was a very clever way to get the colour of the kaya right by adding in the yellow colouring too.

    Cheers,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...