Friday, November 11, 2011

Green Tea Strawberry Cake







I started my cake decorating class recently and this is my first piece of "homework".  The first lesson requires us to bake a basic sponge cake at home and bring the cake to class for creaming and decoration.  In the class, we need to slice our sponge cake into two or three layers and fill the layers with whipped cream.  We also learnt how to crumb coat the cake and thereafter apply cream on cake and smooth the surface.  

I consider myself a beginner to cake decoration, as I have not attended any other cake decorating classes before, other than the 2-tier fondant cake workshop early this year.  In any case, the skills and technique required for fondant cake is rather different from cake creaming.   For instance, when we apply cream on the cake, the way we hold the spatula, the angle and our movement will affect how the cream is applied on the cake.  I used to spend an hour just to smooth out the cream... but to find that the more my spatula touches the cake and cream, the messier and uglier my cake has become.  In fact, trying to slice the whole cake into three equal slices is not an easy task to begin with!  




After my successful attempt with the Green Tea Strawberry Swiss Roll, I decided to use this green tea + strawberry combi for my first lesson.  I love the colour contrast of the green-layered sponge against the bright red strawberries.  For the sponge, I used this wonderful and easy to remember "4-1-1-1" formula, plus 5g of baking green tea powder, added to the sifted flour:

Basic sponge cake:
(makes one 8" round cake or two 6" round cakes)

4 eggs
100g fine or caster sugar
100g plain flour or top flour, sifted
100g melted butter or corn oil*
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (or other flavor) - optional

* I used a combination of 50ml melted butter with 25ml corn oil and 25ml milk.

Method:
1) Whisk eggs, sugar and a pinch of salt at maximum speed till stiff (mixture does not drop easily when mixer is held up).
2) Fold in sifted flour and melted butter/oil till batter is shiny.
3) Pour batter into greased and lined baking pan.
4) Bake in preheated oven at 160C for about 45 minutes (test with a skewer).
5) Remove cake from baking pan, peel off baking paper and leave the cake to cool completely.


[Recipe:  Richard Goh's baking classes]





12 comments:

  1. This cake looks fabtastic!!! What colors ,one would want to watch it all the time (and eat at the end):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your first cake decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fong,
    Iam interested to learn abt cake decorating. Can you share where did you go for your decorating class? Thank you so much.


    Cheers
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dzoli, yummy bakes and Esther.

    Susan: The classes are conducted at CC by Richard Goh. This class is currently full. He conducts lesson at several CC, such as AMK, Cairhill, Siglap, Yishun, Toa Payoh, Jalan Besar etc. You can check more details via pa website or go down to the CC for more info. His classes are usually fill up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fong,
    Thank you so much for your info and quick reply.

    cheers,
    susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fong,
    You have a very lovely cake & I tried this recipe "4-1-1-1" using corn oil & it was very oily maybe my mixing method. Also, do I still need to add salt if I used salted butter. TQ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try to fold in the corn oil while you can still see traces of flour. Alternatively, try to replace 20g of corn oil with milk. Sometimes, I use 80g oil with 20g milk and it works fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Fong,
    Thank you so much for your kind advise, I think I will use 80g oil + 20g milk as I find it quite oily. So what about salt, should I still add it in if I am using salted butter. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, forget to mention about the use of salt. The pinch of salt added in step 1 is to stabilise the eggs and helps for easy whisking to stiff stage. If you find your sponge a little too salty, you can try using a mixture of salted and unsalted butter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Fong,
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply, TQ.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...