This is a simple recipe with few ingredients, but yields amazingly soft velvety cakes.
(yields 10 medium cupcakes)
60g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp cocoa powder
(B): Mix together
140g cake flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
(C): Mix together:
1/2 cup milk + 1 tbsp white vinegar (let it rest for 5 mins)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and mix in the cocoa powder.
2) Add (B) to step 1, alternate with (C) and mix till batter is smooth.
3) Pour batter into cupcake containers and bake in preheated oven at 175C for 12 to 15 minutes.
(Source: Adapted from Petite Sweets by Beatrice Ojakangas)
(more than enough to frost the 10 cupcakes)
2 egg whites + 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (I used 4 tsp meringue powder + 4 tbsp water)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
1) Combine the sugar and water in a small pot. Boil the mixture over medium heat till sugar dissolves and small bubbles forming on the surface (takes about 5 minutes).
2) Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites & cream of tartar (or egg whites substitutes) till stiff peak. Slowly pour in the hot syrup from (1) while continue whisking the meringue. Add the lemon juice, vanilla extract and whisk for another 5 minutes.
I will be submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #7 – Chocolate Delight (May 2011) hosted by DG from Tested and Tasted.